If you have ever stood in the toothbrush aisle at the store, you know that there are a lot of choices. Toothbrushes come in all different sizes, with various styles, angles, brush head shapes, bristles, and more. It can be difficult to know what is best for your teeth. Here are some top tips for choosing the right toothbrush for you:
- Soft bristles – In general, soft bristles are best. They are gentle on your gums and teeth but still get the job done.
- Small brush heads – There are a lot of different brush head sizes, but smaller ones will help you to reach smaller places better.
- Comfortable handle – Look for a toothbrush with a comfortable handle, like one that provides a non-slip grip. This will help you hang on to your toothbrush securely when it gets wet.
- Get what you like – The best toothbrush is one you will use often. Some toothbrushes have flexible necks, some have different shaped heads, and many come with different bristle styles. You should choose whichever you think will be most comfortable for you.
- Powered toothbrush – These types of toothbrushes might be a good investment if you have difficulty brushing, or if you have limited manual dexterity.
- Replace regularly – Even if you choose a great toothbrush, it will lose its effectiveness after a few months. In fact, a new toothbrush removes more plaque than one that is three months old. Replace your toothbrush every three months, or whenever it shows wear. A worn brush can damage your gum tissue. You should also replace your toothbrush after you have been sick.
You can always ask your dentist for help choosing a toothbrush if you are not sure which kind will work best for you, your mouth shape, and your dental needs. Your dentist might even have samples that you can take home to try.